7.22.2018

22: man-gesting trance...

i hit the "publish" button on yesterday's post with a literal handful of minutes to spare. naturally, this warranted some unsolicited "man-gesting"... that being, the "suggesting" equivalent of "man-splaining".

him: why do you wait until so late at night to start working on your post for that day? why don't you start earlier in the evening, like maybe around nine?
me: [totally ignoring all of his sound-advice.]
him: you know what i'm saying makes sense, but you're just gonna do the same thing again tomorrow.
me: [passing the mini treasure chest over to him, while still totally ignoring him] can you pick a topic for me for tomorrow, please?

which he did. it was the one about that croton plant he bought last year.

me: ooh! that should be a quick one. i've been taking photos to track the plant's progress, so i just need a current one, plus one with the sign. 


him: [going on about something about my chronic insomnia being caused by stressing over stuff late at night. i believe he used his favorite phrase for such a situation, "you need to learn to blank your mind".]

me: i can talk about how the plant was all lush when you brought it home. i think i took some pictures of knitting swatches next to the plant, so i could use one of those.


me: then how it suddenly dropped most of its leaves, and we didn't realize until then that there was some sort of coating on the leaves that was probably blocking air flow or something. i think i took some pictures of a hat i made for you next to it when it looked totally pathetic.


me: then i can talk about how i refused to give up on the plant, so i spent the whole Winter watering it, and making sure it got lots of light. then in the Spring, i gave it a top-dressing of compost and some fertilizer, and it started to develop tons of little buds.


me: of course, the best part is when it finally started to leaf-out again. i was so excited to see all those tiny green leaves opening up.


me: i mean, it's put on so much new growth in the past few weeks alone, and there are still tons of knobbly little buds at the top, all still waiting to open.


me: i brought this plant back from the very brink of death. it's like... like i was Dr. Frankenstein.


him: [still going on about my poor sleep habits and leaving stuff till the last minute.]

then i finally said something that snapped him out of his man-gesting trance.

me: ooh... i'm gonna need some sort of Frankenstein reference to use as the title for that post. you're into all that stuff.
him: or... if you want something more obscure, you could make a re-animator reference.
me: [puzzled expression, cause i thought that was some sort of animation reference that i didn't get.]
him: you know Re-Animator...? starring Jeffrey Combs from Deep Space Nine...?
me: yeh... yeh... i know who he is.
him: he starred in all three Re-Animator movies [then he proceeded to list all three movies, as if doing so would jog my memory for something that i have never seen.]
me: there were three of them? oh, joy [said with a tone that did not suggest joy].
him: i can't believe you never saw Re-Animator. 
me: why would i possibly be watching such a thing? but i get the feeling that i will be watching it in the near future... won't i?
him: oh, yeh... TOMORROW!

i end up watching a whole lot of bad movies this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment