4.12.2020

hate is a welcomed distraction...

(half of the photos from this post disappeared for some odd reason, so i had to re-upload them.)

it is roughly six-thirty in the morning, and i am beginning the day with the odd combination of a cup of coffee and a bowl of corn. this is the contents of a can of Green Giant Niblets, to be precise. i mention this only as this is the sole exception i make to my strict rule of only ever eating  fresh corn (i.e., before it is dried and turned into popcorn or cornmeal/flour) as Nature intended it... right off the cob, and only during the month or two when it is in peak season.


i blame the existence of this rule entirely on my mom's sister, who is fond of turning up at family gatherings with mountains of previously-frozen cobs of corn. i made the immense mistake of giving it a try once, which led to me politely passing on all such future offerings. i love my aunt, but those mushy kernels are a crime against humanity. then i discovered Niblets, so now i can satisfy my longing for corn-season by opening a can every couple-few months. no, it really does not take much to keep me satisfied.

oh, and i should add a special note regarding creamed corn. just... NO! should anyone ever offer you some of that stuff, start running like your very existence depends on it, because it just might.

it is shaping up to be a potentially sunny day here in Montreal, although that is subject to change with very little notice. we actually had snow... yes snow... one day last week, so i hesitate to get too excited as to how this day might play out. as for the day itself, i am fairly certain that it is Easter, but i really cannot be bothered to take two or three seconds to verify said fact. we are not religious, and we have no children for whom we need to maintain the facade of holiday cheer, so these days tend to be spent like all others. it is a Sunday (i think), and we are healthy and alive, which seems like more than enough to be cheerful about at this point.

i had lofty plans to spend some of this social-distancing time doing a bit of the long-overdue reorganizing we keep talking about, but that was quickly abandoned for what i like to think of as 'tag-team distraction'. basically, i start one activity, and continue with it for as long as it manages to keep my thoughts from wandering into frightening places. once a given distraction starts to fall apart, i abandon it for some other thing, then rinse-and-repeat as many times as is necessary during the course of a day.

that is where you will find me most days, in the midst of about a dozen incomplete things, while desperately seeking even-greater levels of distraction.

i took my spinning wheel down from its usual storage spot atop the chest of drawers that is referred to by members of our household—all both of us—simply as the unit. that is a story unto itself... which i will get around to telling one of these days.

this is the start of turning that charcoal-grey merino wool from last year's Twist Fibre Festival into yarn that will (hopefully) be soft enough to be worn by an allergic-to-all-the-things snowflake like me.


and i am housing the waiting-to-be-spun bundles of wool in the lovely bag i also purchased at said festival. however, i have to keep the bag stashed atop my crafting bookcase when not in use, as my littlest kitty is far too eager to destroy the thing.


while i absolutely love my spinning wheel and all the distraction it has afforded me over the years, i have to admit that my eyes keep wandering to the Schacht Matchless. one of these days!

so i toiled away at my spinning, until that too started to wane in its ability to distract me, so i had to call in the big guns. turns out that doing something you really despise can be a highly effective way of keeping your head (and hands) occupied.

that is correct... i knit a pair of socks for a certain animator. they are seen here, draped across the storage bag that was intended to contain his new hand saw, but i have claimed said vessel for my own use. he and his saw will get over it.


my regular readers—all both of you—might recall me mentioning that making such things usually qualifies as torture in my universe. however, this seemed like a good time to try something new. spoiler alert: i still hate knitting socks, but that hate is a welcomed distraction at the moment.

these socks began life as a hundred-gram ball of self-striping yarn i purchased from the yarn store around the corner (which seems to have shut abruptly, long before the apocalypse hit). i wound it into two fifty-gram balls, then i started knitting the socks from wherever each ball was within the stripe sequence.

him: i didn't know you could do something like that. how are you going to cope with the unevenness?
me: the world is in complete chaos, so this seems like a good time to forget about OCD.

so i made (non-matching) socks...


then i grabbed some of my own precious hand-dyed yarn, and cast on for another pair. i call this colorway 'koi pond'. pretty, no?


i was afraid that the pretty cable pattern would be lost in all that color, but it seems to be working out just fine. not gonna lie... i was a little tempted at this point to add a thumb and turn them into pretty mittens for myself, but i promised him koi pond socks, so koi pond socks he will get.


him: it takes a pandemic for you to finally knit socks?
me: apparently.

then i proceeded to hurt my wrist from a combination of how tightly a loose knitter like me has to hold the needles to achieve such tiny stitches, and all the extra tension i have been experiencing of late. so i had to abandon all knitting for a while and turn my attention elsewhere in the unending search from sanity-saving distraction.

what could possibly go wrong... right?

6 comments:

  1. I love your spinning wheel. I seriously didn't realize how much they have changed, that is so cool...
    I do understand the madness that is self-quarantining--i've developed a pattern with the loom at one end and the computer at the other, and when it gets too chilly downstairs where the loom is I come back up here (with a stop at the woodstove to warm body parts) and visit sites. And sights. I LOVE those cable socks.

    I agree with you about Green Giant Niblets. With enough butter, tyvm. When my mother would get to the creamed corn stage of things I used to take myself out of the lineup for supper. No thanks, I'd say, I'll eat in front of the TV. bleah.
    We used to grow corn here, but the raccoons always got to it first, and while I don't begrudge any animal a snack now and then, all they would do is pull open every ear, take a bite, and then throw in on the ground, like three year olds with a box of cookies.

    New Hampshire seems to be weathering this thing quite sanely, as is Montreal; early hours for seniors, everyone has their facemasks on, and my husband is actually becoming a serious shopper. Uses coupons. compares prices. He travels to three different stores, no less. Im happy with one, but mr. mechanical engineer wants what he wants, by golly.

    We've been holed up for about six weeks, now, he gets out maybe once a week or less, and I've never seen the freezer quite this full before.

    If you or your favorite animator gets bored, I have a game you might want to try: it's free, and amazingly addictive, or amazingly boring, depending on your POV: https://en1.elvenar.com/game

    (And yes, we had snow too. It seems to have been a wide ranging, all purpose storm that hit almost everyone broadside. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. luckily no no one in my family was fond of creamed corn, so i only had to avoid it occasionally at other people's homes. my mom's dad used to plant about half an acre of corn every year. most of it was dried for storage, but those fresh ears that we either boiled or roasted over an open fire were like heaven.

      my wheel is an Ashford traditional. i swapped out the flyer for one that holds a jumbo bobbin, so now i can pack quite a bit on each bobbin... which means fewer ends to join when it comes time to knit. i take my laziness very seriously.

      like you say, it's best to have a sequence of activities to cycle through as needed. sometimes sitting still in one spot for too long can start the mind racing, so switching gears definitely helps. the only problem is that i genuinely want to get a few things done around here, but it is really hard to convince myself of the urgency in any kind of home-maintenance at the moment. pass.

      i checked out that game some time back, but i was playing another game with some online friends at the time, so i didn't play for very long. i will have to check it out again at some point. mostly, i have been watching a lot of older-than-me movie/shows. most of them are the kind of things they showed late at night on the weekends back when i was a kid, so it's interesting to see them again through older eyes.

      i started with "Charlie Chan", then i put that on pause for the Basil Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films, and next i'm going to revisit the Margaret Rutherford "Miss Marple" series. in between, i've been watching episodes of "Hogan's Heroes" (i've seen the whole series probably a dozen times, but it remains a favorite), and i have a long list of other titles waiting to be revisited. basically, i am avoiding anything that runs the risk of making reference to any of the nonsense of the present day, so i'm building my own 'WABAC machine'... just no Westerns. that is where i draw the line.

      oh, and we had a light sprinkling of snow again today. sigh!

      Delete
  2. I found this that you may or may not know about--I saw it and thought, aha...

    The Woolery [info@woolery.com]

    And if you're into YOu Tube, "The Dead South" is amazing. I never weary of them. (they Canadian, too)

    Have you dipped into Good Omens? It makes a lot more sense as a movie than it does as a book, for some reason. Plus it has David Tennant, and he makes sense anywhere. And there is always "Life of Brian".

    Hogan's heroes? Oh my. There is also Mash which is Hogan's Heroes on vitamins. "Fraser" was always my favorite, it's one of the few shows that makes me almost wish I had a TV again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's funny that you mention the Woolery. i was on their site just a couple days ago, as i have been contemplating taking another trip down the rabbit hole of weaving, so i have been checking out the (beginner-level) fixed-heddle looms on offer on different sites. i'm not convinced yet that this is a road i am ready to take, especially as i have a bunch of spinning i need to get back to, so maybe in the near future... maybe.

      MASH was one of my absolute favorite shows back in my youth. i used to watch the re-runs every single day without fail. i keep promising to revisit it in (in chronological order, as is demanded by my brand of OCD), but i have yet to get there.

      Frasier would be a definite good choice of things to revisit, since i missed most of it the first time around due to the show's original run overlapping with most of undergrad-grad days. i saw a couple episodes recently, and i forgot how much i used to love that show. so, that is definitely on the list.

      i went through a Neil Gaiman phase, so we have quite a bit of his stuff knocking about the place. Good Omen is more the animator's style, though.

      and... i would gladly watch paint dry if David Tennant was sitting next to it. except Dr Who. never got into that one. we loved Broadchurch. i wish that show went on for a couple-few more years. and he was in an episode of "Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)" which is a new-to-me series i just discovered a couple weeks ago. it is the remake of a show from the sixties, and the older one is much more interesting, so i have been slow-watching that too.

      and i also got back to Rockford Files, which i am watching for the first time around. that is good to watch while doing stuff, as very little attention is required since every episode of the first three seasons so far seems to be the same basic plot (including the mandatory car chase and fist fight scenes). still, it's not the news, and it does not make me think about anything happening in the news. that's all i'm asking for at present.

      Delete
  3. Love you blog; I can't do what you do because of the extent of my essential tremors. Not only can I not knit anymore, but I also have ruined two computers by drenching them with liquid because my elbow jerks. I loved the red with 2 blue and little yellow. Weather is different---it is warm and humid with no hint of chill in Pensacola, FL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by. that Florida humidity is insane... and it's only the start of the season. and i've had my share of spilling stuff on my laptop, usually due to intense clumsiness on my part.

      Delete